Friday, February 29, 2008

Voter Turnout


You know you're a politician when you are hoping for low voter turnout. Last year, law school SG Rep. race had 30 votes in total, or about a 2.6% voter turnout. Overall UT-wide turnout for SG elections was 8% last year. It follows then, that apathetic law students would be AT LEAST lower than 8%. Accordingly, I was running an 8-10% voter turnout strategy and decided that 75 was about the magic number I needed for victory. (75 would have been victorious up to an 11% turnout, at which point it would be a tie).

As fate would have it, through the help of friends and classmates, I EXACTLY met my goal of 75 votes.

Turns out my opponent had a get out the vote effort of his own, however, which led to the Law School having a 16% voter turnout. Needless to say, my 8-10% strategy was insufficient. That said, I cannot be too upset about the final result because he simply had a superior political machine.

I have attached a campaign flyer for you to get an idea of another one of mine. Maybe I will take the time to post the others in a later post. This flyer was my bathroom flyer.

1 comment:

Emily M said...

Way to go. We are impressed that you ran. Good practice for your next campaign!