I had a nice conversation with a good friend of Barbara's who is in the ward. Barbara is the one compassionate service leaders in the ward and had some tasks to finish up before she took off Sunday to go to her mother's funeral. She ran some papers over to this friend who is named Monica and asked her to pass various sign up sheets during Relief Society last Sunday.
I had a message from Monica today saying that if I needed to swear or yell at her to give her a call. She called me when I got home from work and we had a good laugh. Apparently some of the women at church are going to bring meals by during Barbara's absence for me and John which I thought was thoughtful. Monica was a little worried that I would take it the wrong way, but I see it as a nice gesture.
Anyhow, Monica said she stood up in Relief Society yesterday and she said something to the effect that she isn't sure what Jesus would do in a particular situation, but she was sure what Barbara would do, so she went ahead and got some things organized. She said Barbara of course would have remembered to bring two pens for the sign-up sheets though.
Which kind of made me think of my later mother-in-law Beth Walker. Beth was exactly that sort of person also, she always seemed to know what to do or say in any given situation. During the almost 30 years I knew Beth, I was able to see that over and over again, she always did the right thing to help someone.
Beth of course had strong opinions about what was right or wrong, but she didn't let that stop her from helping someone when they needed it. Her home was always open to friends and family. She will be missed.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
This is so funny and so true. Barbara is the single most organized, multi-dimensional, thoughtful person I have ever met. And child centered. She is completely amazing.
I only knew her mom slightly, but as I have told Barbara, I wish I could have known her better. She seemed to have a sense of humor and to be very accepting.--Susan
That is so true. I'm glad you guys were taken care of while she was away. We miss you all so much. When I read your comment on our blog that you wished you could be handy to help me with the boys, I just thought, "Me too!" We love you.
Post a Comment